Join us on November 4, 2023, for a daylong celebration as we kick off Arts & Health Mercer.
Featuring free interactive workshops that are open to the public, a keynote speaker, and a reception for organizations, the public, sponsors and the press.
Location: RWJ Fitness and Wellness Conference Center, 3100 Quakerbridge Road, Hamilton Township, NJ 08619
Schedule of Events:
- 10 a.m.: Storytime with librarian Janie Hermann of Princeton Public Library and craft with author and illustrator Barbara DiLorenzo of Arts Council Princeton
- 10:30 a.m.: Physical storytelling with Breanna Lemerise of McCarter Theatre
- 11 a.m.: Storytime with Monah Yancy of Passage Theater and viola accompaniment by Beth Meyers of Princeton Symphony Orchestra followed by instrument petting zoo
- 11:30 a.m.: Art Against Racism and the Stoutsburg Sourland African American Museum (SSAAM) present a discussion on “The Role of Cultural Institutions in Community Health” and an art activity.
- Noon: Vendor Alley featuring local nonprofits open until 4 pm
- 1 p.m.: Keynote Speaker (update: due to unforeseen circumstances we have a change in speakers) Faith Saunders will speak about the Dimensions of Wellness and incorporating the arts into daily life.
- 2:30 p.m. – Reception with food and music
Morning Drop-in Activities include:
- Theatre games with Breanna Lemerise of McCarter Theatre
- Art Making with the Princeton University Art Museum
- Ripped words poetry with Greer Luce of Morven Museum and Garden
- Puzzles and kids crafts with Princeton Public Library
10 am – 12 noon
FREE interactive workshops for families
Join us for interactive workshops in a variety of arts media including music, poetry, visual arts, movement, theater, and more. Each workshop will encourage a healthy mind, body and spirit for all ages.
Presenting organizations include: Princeton University Art Museum, McCarter Theatre, Princeton Symphony Orchestra, Arts Council of Princeton, Princeton Public Library, Art Against Racism, and the Stoutsburg Sourland African American Museum, Passage Theater, and Morven Museum and Gardens.
12 noon – 4:00 pm
Visit our vendor partners and learn about their arts and health offerings for the community.
1:00 – 2:30 pm
Keynote Speaker presented by West Windsor Arts
Discover A New Future, Founder and Chief Transformation Officer
Faith Saunders is the author of two books entitled, “BREAK FREE: 52 Tips to Escape from Your Self-Imposed Prison” and “Journal to Wellness.” Faith was born and raised in Mandeville, Jamaica. She migrated to the United States at age 20 and has lived in New Jersey for the past 28 years. Faith started her career at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, now Rutgers University, where she worked for over 12 years in various leadership positions and where she received a Master’s Degree in Psychiatric Rehabilitation. Later, she became an adjunct professor at the School of Health-Related Professionals teaching vocational rehabilitation courses to undergraduates. Faith went on to develop and implement a state-funded Employment Institute where she served as director for fourteen years. During that time, she provided training and technical assistance to over 300 organizations on leadership and employment-related issues. Today, through her company Discover a New Future, she partners with organizations to enhance their employees’ competencies by providing leadership, and professional development training and coaching services. Faith is also an artist. She started out making handmade cards, but over the years, she has dabbled in expressing her creativity in many ways such as jewelry making, pottery, and more. In recent years, Faith has been featured in several media publications as she uses her art to connect people to each other through projects such as coming together to create cards for people who are hospitalized with cancer.
(We regret that our previous keynote speaker, Christina Eskridge, will be unable to present due to unforeseen circumstances.)
3:00 – 4:00 pm
Join us for a celebratory reception with light fare and refreshments as we hear from the organizations involved in this initiative and learn about all the opportunities for participation in arts and health activities throughout the month of November. Presented with support from our vendor partners.
Are you a nonprofit or business seeking to host a table at the event?